1. NO bed in a bag. The thought of them seriously gives me chills...and they are usually extremely overpriced for the quality of fabrics.
2. Mix & Match. The answer to no bed in a bag...this also makes it easier to customize exactly what you want without having to have custom bedding made!
3. Duvets trump comforters. Once you use a duvet you may never go back! Seriously! This gives you the ability to decide what weight of comforter you want and duvet covers are usually machine washable!
4. Luxury fabrics go far with pillows! Are you in love with a super pricey designer fabric?...use it for pillows.
5. Stick to all white basics (sheets, quilts, ect). This helps to make changes down the road with duvet covers and pillows without having to do an entire bedding overhaul. Plus white just looks clean and chic....bleach is your friend!
When shopping for your white basics you can find them in every price range as pretty much every retailer carries white! Do try to buy the best you can in each category (this does not necessarily mean the highest price tag)...Think of it as the spanks or proper undergarments to your bed...they are what can make it look and feel good! Buy the sheets that feel the best...as this is what is actually rubbing against your skin! When buying comforters I try to find the puffiest one (not always the heaviest weight)...I think they help to make the bed look more plush. You know..make you want to jump in it?!
Here are a few looks I have put together to show you!